Integrated Sensor System™ (ISS)
Every golf course is its own complex ecosystem. To provide a consistent, playable environment, you need an accurate understanding of turf health. The Rain Bird® Integrated Sensor System™ (ISS) offers a snapshot of soil conditions to help you to understand what is happening below ground. It is also the only system in the industry to deliver easy-to-install absolute soil sensing and full integration with the central control system. As a result, you’ll save more time, water and money with Rain Bird.
Dynamic integration. Fully automatic.
When paired with a Rain Bird Central Control System, the Integrated Sensor System can automatically adjust sprinkler run times to reach maintain desired moisture levels, minimizing water consumption, resulting in healthier turf and better playing conditions.
As a standalone system, the ISS analyses soil moisture and calculates water budget recommendations for any golf course.
Zero calibration. The ISS uses research-grade soil sensors backed by years of field experience. These sensors have been vetted by multiple academic peer- reviews. The ISS takes highly accurate readings of soil moisture, salinity and temperature immediately following installation and without calibration – for easy installation and immediate accuracy.
Adjustable soil sensing rate.
With the Rain Bird ISS, the frequency of soil sensing measurements can be adjusted to match course needs.
Sensor readings are automatically stored by the data logger on Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) storage cards. Data is not lost due to power outages or wireless communication issues.
The ISS uses a proven wireless mesh network which ensures the necessary range of transmission and a secured traffic from the data logger to the Soil Manager™ software.
Network devices (data loggers and repeaters) are battery-powered and easy to install. There is no AC power source to worry about.
Improves turf health, course consistency and playability.
The ISS can help deliver more consistent turf quality, anticipate plant stress, weed germination, pest infestations and other factors. You can use less water to flush salts from the soil profile.
- 200 sensors, 20 ISDL-2400 data loggers, 40 ISR-2400 repeaters per ISG-2400 gateway.
- Frequency of sensor readings can be adjusted between 2 and 120 minutes. Sensor sampling rate under 15 minutes will reduce battery life.
- ISDL-2400 data logger: Four (4) D-cell alkaline batteries
- ISR-2400 data logger: Four (4) D-cell alkaline batteries
- Minimum battery life: Twelve (12) months at 20°C (68°F) assuming 100 sensor readings per day (every 15 minutes) in a network composed of 12 ISDL-2400 data loggers, 16 ISR-2400 repeaters, 1 ISG-2400 gateway and 120 sensors
- ISG-2400 gateway: powered via PC USB port
- Each gateway and repeater shall communicate directly with up to 8 network devices (data loggers and repeaters) to enable wireless mesh capability and ensure optimum radio communication.
- ISDL-2400 data logger and ISR-2400 repeaters are battery-powered devices and do not have grounding requirements.
- 2.4 GHz ISM DSSS (Digital Sequencing Spread Spectrum) unlicensed frequency
- Power output 10mW and 63mW per country of use regulations
- Protocol: DigiMesh™ proprietary mesh network
- Communication Range: Unobstructed line of sight 800 yards
- - Capacity: 18 Rain Bird specified TSM-3 Soil Sensors that use SDI-12 protocol. Nine sensors per channel on 2 channels.
- Electrical input: 4.1-6.5V using four (4) D-cell alkaline batteries
- Data storage: Sensor data stored on 4GB or higher capacity SDHC card (card included)
- Upgrades: Firmware can be upgraded using SD card
- Display: 10-position menu and 4 soft keys for automatic and manual operation including system settings (Language, date, time, units), automatic and manual sensor operation, sensor setup, and special features.
- Display shall be backlit.
- Languages: English, French,Spanish,Chinese, German, Portuguese, Swedish, Italian
- - External antenna tuned for 2.4 GHz communication
- Operating temperature: -10°C to -54°C (14°F-130°F)
- Storage temperature : -40°C to - 66°C (-40°F to 150°F)
- - Electrical input: 4.1-6.5V using four (4) D-cell alkaline batteries
- Languages – Same as Data Logger
- Display shall be backlit
- Firmware upgrade using SDHC card (card not included)
- 4 soft keys
- Operating temperature: -10°C to - 60°C (14°F to -140°F)
- Battery Operating temperature: -20°C to - 54°C (-4°F to 130°F)
- Storage temperature: -40°C to - 66°C (-40°F to 150°F)
- USB to serial to USB
- TSM-3 Soil Sensors
- Sensor shall connect to a Rain Bird ISDL-2400 Wireless Data and provide soil moisture, salinity and temperature readings
- Sensor shall take accurate readings immediately following installation and without calibration
- Sensor shall measure soil conditions in undisturbed soil
- Sensor shall measure and report:
- Absolute water fraction by volume (WFV) in % with loam calibration
• 0.1 to 15 dS/m in-soil electro conductivity 1% stable WFV readings over the following conditions:
- -10°C to 50°C (non frozen soil)
0.1 to 4 dS/m EC
- Robust, long life materials and construction
- Industry standard SDI-12 interface
- Shall connect to a data logger through an 18-gauge three-wire cable that is at least 300 feet long. Sensor itself shall have a 25 ft long 18-gauge three-wire cable. Additional cable, not provided, is required to reach 300 feet.
- Low power operation:
• 9 to 20 VDC
• <1 mA typical standby mode
• 30 mA moisture read mode
- Microsoft Windows Windows® 7 or higher
- PC with 2.2GHz or higher processor
- Minimum of 2GB RAM memory
- 3 GB of available hard disk space
- Power Profile of computer configured to not sleep
- DirectX 9.0 c-compatible display driver (Windows® XP Mode under Windows® 7 and later not supported)
- Chinese (simplified)
Soil Manager (standalone monitoring)
- Dashboard view
- Sensor graph view with annotation capability
- Sensor table view with annotation and export to Excel capabilities
- Communication, power and sensor alerts
- Diagnostics including network device battery level and signal strength status (RSSI)
- User-defined email alerts for outof- range soil moisture, salinity and temperature values, communication and power status
- Water budget recommendations available when one sensor is linked to a particular irrigation program
Soil Manager: (standalone monitoring with dynamic central integration enabled)
- Same as monitoring version, plus
- Full integration with any Rain Bird irrigation central control software version 7.1 or higher
- Sprinkler runtime adjustment based on soil moisture measurements and water budget predictions